Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Blog 6

The Networked Student

In this video we watched I thought it was very interesting it showed us a very unique way that technology is used today.  As a educator we must always be willing to learn new things and with technology in the classrooms that is one of the best ways.  Teachers and all educators I feel should try to bring technology into their class to broaden the way the students learn.

Not only did this video show us how to use technology outside the class but in the class as well.  Some teachers feel that to learn you must have a pencil and paper.  But the truth is that in today's society we do not have to.  As we learned when watching the ischool videos we can do anything now with just a phone that we can do with a book pencil and paper with less than half the cost that it is now.

With the help of EDM 310 I feel that I am getting prepared to teach the networked student.  I know that I still have  a lot to learn and that I have to become a more timely person but with help of Dr. Strange and his staff I know I will get there.  I want to be a traditional teacher in someways but I also want to make learning a fun thing for my students as some of my professors and teachers have done for me.

A 7th Grade Personal Learning Enviornment

 I was so amazed at what the student learned with her personal learning network.  All the information that she needed was right in front of her.  In the video she say the she likes to learn this way and I understand why she would say this.  When learning if its a fun way to learn we tend to remember it, I remember when I was younger I would sing my spelling words or make a story about the water cycle.  I'm excited about being able to show others a exciting and fun way to learn.

The Machine Is Changing Us

I want to start off by saying when I first saw how long this video was I just knew it was going to be boring.  But as I was watching I started to realize it wasn't boring and that he made so many good points.  I think that technology is what ever you make it and that you should use it to your advantage to make the most out of it.  If we look at the negative side of things all the time and never look for answers we might still think if we go to the edge of the world we will fall off.

2 comments:

  1. Any teachers want you to use a slate and chalk? It wouldn't surprise me - much.

    It fascinates me that students determine whether a video will be boring by its length. Does this apply to reading assignments as well? I wonder how many EDM310 students will die of exhaustion when they encounter this week's assignment which is an hour long video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Callie,
    I agree so much with what you are saying. We are going to have to be networked teachers. Making learning a more enjoyable experience for the kids is what we strive for because if we get their attention with something interesting we will be able to teach them so many cool things and make learning more fun.They wont just sit behind a desk, and raise their hands they can actually be apart of the learning and feel like they have accomplished something. One day or whole teaching life will be centered around this thing we call a computer ,and I know what we are learning now will be a great thing for our kids. There will be so much we can do with them that our teachers could not do with us. Im so excited about the future of teaching it is going to be a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete