Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff
Today I read a very interesting post by Dr. McLeod a professor at Iowa State University. Dr. McLeod and Dr. Joan Hughes established a national technology program for secondary and college education. In his blog "Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff" I thought he had a great approach to the subject his way of saying it left you think. Just because you may have heard a bad thing about technology does not mean that it will be all bad all the time. The world is changing and new inventions being thought of everyday. How can we deny our kids from this when most of them will have jobs that don't even exist today? At the same time I do believe we should give our kids boundaries and limits, because they are for the MOMENT still just KIDS.
The iSchool Initiative
To date this has been my by far most favorite video I have had to watch. I think that the iSchool is a wonderful idea I think it offers so much and much more cost efficient. If every student has access to the world at the palm of their and they know what to do with it I believe will help to make the internet a more safe environment for them because not only will the parents be able to monitor the kids but so will the teachers and school to help them with all the world has to offer and to keep them on the correct track. I believe that the iSchool will not only change the world of school but will help change the world.
I hope that one day the iSchool will be become a reality and that people will be able to see it's benefits. The iSchool has so much to offer with as many students with phones it should not be as hard to get iPhones to all the students.
The Lost Generation
I feel that this was a very, well thought out and put together speech. The things that she said made so much sense and when I first listening to this it made me think that I have heard more than once the things she was saying I pray never come true. When I heard how she reversed the poem it was like a sigh of relief because when she first started to read it the closer to the end she got the more sad I became. But when she started reading it in reverse more she read I started to think how good it was to know that we do determine our future and we can change it as we go along and plan for our future.
The Virtual Choir
This is so neat! For everyone to have never been together this is so amazing. This is one of the many advantages of using the internet and web cameras to bring people together. I hope that one day I can become apart of something like this. Listening and watching this helps me see that anything can be done with a little time and effort.
I agree with you very much when you say that our kids should not be with held from resources off of the internet. They need to be taught! Because, as you said, they will have jobs that do not exist at this moment in time!
ReplyDeleteAnd the iSchool on the other hand, it is a very neat idea, but do you think it would really work? Would children really be able to learn as well as they do with paper and pencil?
The Lost Generation video was by far my favorite Video I have watched. I absolutely loved it!
The Virtual Choir was crazy! I had never even heard of anything like that ever being done before! It was really amazing for people who had never even met to make something like this.
Good post Callie. You made a good point regarding the ischool, the more people who are using the internet the better we can keep students safe. As you said if parents and teachers are monitoring what the students are doing the greater the possibility that anything out of line will be recognized and dealt with sooner.
ReplyDeletePlease remember to proof read before posting. SS
I totally agree that the world is changing, so if we don't expose our kids to the good on the web then they will be left behind. The Ischool video blew my mind and I am looking forward to it. The choir sounded absolutly beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI agreed with you we need to look forward and encourage our kids to do the same thing.The ischool is a good idea,but I think it is not in the plans at this time hopefully in the relative near future. I agree with you the virtual choir was amazing.I hope you listened the orchestra on the class blog.
ReplyDelete