Saturday, September 11, 2010

Project #3

My first blog to read was one by Karl Fisch titled "Math on the Rocks: Skyping with Professor Garibaldi". It was about Mr. Fisch getting in touch with Professor Garibaldi about skyping with his class. Professor Garibaldi uses math for things as adventurous as rock climbing, Mr. Fisch thought it would be a good idea to have Professor Garibaldi skype with his class about using math and learning in the real world. Mr. Fisch decided to come up with some questions to ask the professor to show the students when they will actually have to use math. Mr. Fisch thought that by having someone who is as passionate about math and learning as him get his students more excited about learning math and learning in general as well as show them that learning does not mean having to sit in a class and look at a board.

On my comment to Mr. Fisch I said that I thought what he did was a great way to get his class interested in learning and that by reading what he wrote I wish I was there to hear him say it. I know that it takes time trying to figure out things to help motivate students but thought this was a very unique and creative way to do that.

My second blog that I read by Mr. Fisch was one that he wrote regarding the Denver post. The title of this blog was Dear Denver Post: You are the disappointment. Mr. Fisch was writing about his opinion on an article they wrote saying how returning to school was a disappointment. He stated that many of students are excited about school starting back and that is so true for many students including myself. Although some students would never admit to being excited for school to start, you will hear them say I can’t wait till prom or I’m so ready to attend my first homecoming or even excited about being exempted from their nine weeks test. Mr. Fisch also stated that in his town they have a great community, teachers, students and they are doing important things with everyone. But the Denver post still wrote an article about school being a disappointment, Mr. Fisch was very upset about this article and judging by the comments left he wasn’t the only one.

On my comment to Mr. Fisch I told him that although I am in college I am always excited about going back to school and I'm very sure I'm not alone with that. Instead of them posting about the enjoyment of school and motivating them to continue higher education the Denver post would write such a one sided article. that.

No comments:

Post a Comment