Thursday, September 2, 2010

Blog 2

DID YOU KNOW??

I really enjoyed this video it was so many things on it that we notice but don't realize how fast things REALLY are changing. The one fact on how India had more kids graduating with honors than the United States had kids really stuck with me. By no means am I saying that the United States should boost up the kid population as much as China but we as a country should focus more on teaching our kids, and technology rather than a NEVER ENDING WAR. I mean if we are cutting the budget for k-12 and higher education but have money to run another country, its not something wrong with the other country it is us.
I have always been told "take care of home before trying to run someone else house" this is something WE as a country should consider. It really hurt to see stats that say Americans are falling behind but maybe seeing things like this will help us to do better than ever before. Keeping up with technology in the classrooms now is more important than ever before but I know that it is possible if other countries can do it why can't the United States?


MR WINKLE WAKES

This video was really a great one. More often than not I feel like Mr.Winkle did, but fortunately like Mr. Winkle there is always something that we can see or experience that we will be familiar with. This video brought back memories of my first day in middle school and using the internet for the first time and hearing everyone talking about myspace. The world is changing and changing fast but there is always someone that can explain or interpret it for us.

One thing that I heard in this video was that when he walked in the school he knew he was in a school and it made me realize that if everything around us is changing why isn't the way we learn changing? Why isn't the way we teach changing? Maybe this too will change and become a new "sign of the times".

SIR KEN ROBINSON: THE IMPORTANCE OF CREATIVITY

Although this is a very long video it really had some great points to it. We can't convince our kids not to do something the like because they won't "make enough money" or because "it will be too hard to find a job" we should show them that yes there is more than one way of doing things and yes you can do anything you want t do or be.  Looking at our society where would we be if there was no art or no music?

People should really think before trying to discourage a child.  If there wasn't for mistakes and people thinking outside of the box there would be so many things that would not have come about.  If everyone thought the same there would be no need for technology because there would never be anything new.

HARNESS YOUR STUDENTS' DIGITAL THOUGHTS

Until I came to my first night class of EDM 310 I had no idea of all the possibilities there was with using technology in the classroom. What Vicki Davis is doing with her students is so fascinating and such a great thing.  Watching this video really has me excited about all the things I am going to learn this semester in EDM 310.  The only way to learn new things is to get out there and experince them head on.

One thing that I Vicki Davis said the really stood out to me was that a teacher doesn't have to know exactly how to do every single thing before putting it out there for students to learn.  By being a Education major and taking Mathematics for Elementary teachers i have noticed that some of the things that I thought I was advanced in I have to sit and ask my sister for help who is in the sixth grade.  This lets me know there will always be new ways of learning things and new ways of teaching them as well.
 

2 comments:

  1. Good post. You covered all of the bases.

    Keep in mind when looking at statistics like those use in "Did You Know", that they are usually presented in such a way as to say what the author wants them to say. As you pointed out More students graduated with honors in India than we have in our schools altogether. The way it is presented makes it seem like they have a lot more high achieving students but actually it has more to do with the fact that they have so many more kids than the United States does. A more interesting statistic would be to consider what percentage of Indian students graduate with honors as compared to what percentage of students in the US graduate with honors. This would give a much more realistic view of how the two countries compare regarding student achievement. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right when you said the quote “taken care of home before trying to run someone else house”. I agree that the United States is falling behind because we are so worried about what other countries are doing. I agree that we should not boost the population but we should work on improving the kids coming up behind us because one day they will be running our country. I think we both had the same idea when we watched the Mr. Winkle Wakes video, I asked my self the same question, “Why isn’t the way we teach changing”? We have all this great technology; shouldn’t we be using it to our advantage? Sir Ken Robinson made me laugh that video was so funny but at the same time had a serious message. I agree and think it’s a big mistake to discourage children from being creative. If it weren’t for creative people we would not have the technology we have today. Creativity is what makes are technology improve year after year. I agree EDM 310 has really opened my eyes to how advanced technology is and how fare behind I am. I wish I had a teacher like Vicki Davis because I really think I would have a lot more understanding of ways to use technology as a resource and get more out of it.

    ReplyDelete