Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blog 3

A Vision of Students Today

I really thought that this video was so correct about students have to  multitask to make it through the day.  Sometimes I feel that most of the things we do in class are pointless and I am only remembering it until it is time to take the test.  Another point that was brought out on this video was that some teachers are still using chalk boards to teach, with the rising cost of tuition seem like we would be able to get more up to date technology in class and more information that we will actually use in our life.

If I could add something to this video it would be showing how there are so many things that schools could do to actually help students learn more things about what would help them in there actually major and life.  It seems as though school is more about money now than the actually learning experience.  Education is something to strive for but if the person that is suppose to be helping you achieve that is not interested and boring how can they expect you to be excited about learning?

Its Not About the Technology

This blog was about being technology literate.  The point that learning and teaching is not the same thing really stood out to me in a major way, a teacher could be well educated and can't explain what they know to a student on a level that the student can learn.  I know that technology is changing at a rapid rate but we must learn to keep up with it so we won't fall behind. Learning is not a process to where we learn while we get our degree and be done but we must learn and keep learning so that we will not fall behind and keep ourselves up to date with technology as well. 

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher? 

Well I'm twenty years old and before I became enrolled in this class I thought I was technology literate, boy was I wrong.  Before this class I didn't even know how to make a blog, I see now all I knew how to do was facebook. By me someday being a future educator I now know I must be able to keep up with all the new advances in the world today because without it I will only be hurting my students.
Everything is changing and in the video we watched last week it mentioned most of the jobs that students will have in the future don't even exist today.  That is telling me how can a teacher teach someone to prepare for their future if they are still teaching the way they learned when they were a kid?  I don't think you can effectively, like the old saying "You must practice what you preach".

Social Media Countdown

These numbers are so astounding to me at the rate that they change.  As a professional educator I know now that I have a lot to keep up with.  To be a teacher in today's society I must constantly keep learning new things and be willing to learn.

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Wesch's video can be viewed as commenting on students behavior in school and on the way colleges and their employees organize and deliver instruction. You touched on both.

    Yes, learning must never end. A question, what is the responsibility of the student in the learning equation?

    A lot of people are surprised after they enter EDM310 about their technological literacy. You are not alone!

    Learning Never Ends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when you say "I thought I was technology literate," but going this class makes me realize how much I really can stand learn from this class. I mean being a teacher is a pretty overwhelming opportunity. We are the one to teach the future doctors, scientists, entertainers, lawyers, etc., etc.

    A teacher must always be ready for the latest and greatest technological advances to make his or her learning environment the best for future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Callie, you make some outstanding points in your blogs. Teachers still using chalk to teach everything still drives me up the wall. Its OK to write a few things on the chalk board but do not use it to lecture on. Maybe teachers should have to attend technology workshops and use the technology or maybe the school system could doc their pay. I know that is out there but I bet people would use the technology.

    I know what you mean about feeling dumb in this class. I have always used a computer pretty well but this class is truly exposing me. Maybe by the end of this class (If I survive) I'll be able to function at a higher level of technology. Thanks

    ReplyDelete